Literally guaranteed to appreciate in value.
Car collectors are constantly trying to figure out which cars will appreciate in value. Examples include many classic muscle cars from the late 1960s and early 70s. It’s not at all surprising to see some going for six figures today, generating a healthy profit for the sellers. But what if you want to invest in a muscle car from the late 70s, 80s or 90s with the hope of selling it in, say, 10 years’ time at a profit, what should you buy today? Hagerty has come up with a list of 5 great muscle car investments that will very likely appreciate in the years ahead.
1. 1987 Buick Regal GNX. Very little introduction needed here. To this day, there hasn’t been a cooler Buick you could buy. Less than 550 of these were built and if you can manage to get your hands on one, in any condition, you’re literally guaranteed a profit.
2. 1977 Pontiac Trans Am. After experiencing sort of a comeback thanks to the one , the "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Am, with its signature "Screaming Chicken" on the hood, has always been wicked cool. According to current figures, regular ’77 Trans Ams have tripled in value for several years now.
3. 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra R. Ah yes, the old Fox body Mustang. While not the most popular of classic Mustangs, this ’93 Cobra R is very special. Why’s that? Because it served as the official launch car for Ford’s SVT performance division. Only 107 examples were made.
4. 1994-96 Chevrolet Impala SS. This is one of our personal favorites. The Impala SS may just have been the best big sedan of the 90s. Seriously, these things were massive but they also came powered with a V8 and were RWD. You shouldn’t have too much of a hard time finding one right now for less than $20k and that's in great condition.
5. 1997 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk LT4. Like Pontiac the brand itself, the Firebird is sadly a goner, and it ain’t coming back. However, the late 90s saw the introduction of the Trans Am Firehawk LT4. Why do you want this? Because it shares a V8 with the C4 Corvette. What’s more, only 27 examples were built. If you can manage to snag one for less than $50k, you’d be getting a great deal.